On Mixology Monday, bloggers the world over break out spirits, syrups, mixers, bitters, and some downright fancy garnishes, all crowdslurping their way through the rotating host’s monthly theme. Previous themes include Spice, Guilty Pleasures, and Bourbon. This month, I am honored to host MxMo, although the theme—Hard Drinks for Hard Times—could well leave a sour taste.
There’s no denying that times are tight. Consumers are foregoing vacations, expressing new interest in “variety meats,” and otherwise curtailing spending. For some, that means changing how, what, and how often they drink cocktails.
If your 401(k) has taken a beating, or if you or a spouse or friend have been laid off, or if you’re simply hanging on to your wallet for dear life, you’ve probably given some thought to how the economy is affecting your basic expenditures—such as those you make for booze. Here’s a chance to share how you’re drinking during the downturn; whether it’s affordable booze, ways you’re cutting corners, or things you’ve figured out how to mix or make on the cheap, we need to hear it.
Mixology Monday—Hard Drinks for Hard Times
- By Monday, February 16th, mix, consume, and write about an alcoholic drink you’ve made that resonates with the current economic turndown and explain how it addresses the theme. Maybe you’re drinking less, switching brands, thinking about distilling your own, or finally using up those dusty, orphaned bottles of bizarre cordials and regrettably “charming” housewarming gifts.
- When you post your piece, please email me [see below] or leave a comment here with your link. Please include a photo of your drink with the email. I will include it in a round-up on Tuesday February 17th…Wednesday at the latest if my budget allows for trying as many of your drinks as I can.
- In your post, please include links to Rowley’s Whiskey Forge as well as Mixology Monday so those who haven’t heard of MxMo can join in. Please also include the MxMo logo on your post (just snag it above).
- No blog? No problem! Thanks to our good friends at eGullet’s Spirits & Cocktails Forum, every month non-bloggers are invited to chip in their post in a designated thread on the forum. You’ll need to be signed up with eGullet; head on over there for details.
- Emailing Rowley: You may email me directly: moonshinearchives (at) gmail (dot) com. You know the drill: substitute “@” and “.” as I try to avoid the spammers.
Woo! Cherry Bounce!
Careful, now, nerdling...sometimes the cherries bounce you a little further than you anticipate!
Hah...this is the perfect showcase for my homemade absinthe spork!
I'm just wondering what Gilbert Shelton had to do with Women's Wear Daily.
Oh, I think the WWD editors were fans of the fabulous furry freak brothers from way back...
I emailed you my mixmo post and photo. We have quite an interesting hard cider experiment progressing on our kitchen counter. Here's the link:
Thanks for hosting!
Amelia Sauter aka Felicia
My somewhat off-topic post is up...
I think we need a Millionaire Cocktail @this topic :-)
greatings from germany
Really looking forward to this one. My attempt is up at ednbrg.
Matthew, Thanks for hostng. Here is our post; sometimes laughter is the best medicine (though a shot of whiskey sure helps).
Paul & Steve
Hi! i did email the link and the pic.
Holy frijoles ya'll ~ I've been processing contributions all morning and am proud of each and every one of you. Here I am thinking that alcohol might just be too much a part of my life, but then you reprobates put it all in perspective. Makes me happy just knowing you.
Yeah, here you go:
There's a great photo in my post, but frankly, you're welcome to choose another:
Hey! I skipped the last one but I have a totally great reason (the post reveals all)
My post is up at http://www.twoatthemost.com/mxmo-xxxvi-hard-drinks-for-hard-times-the-french-75/
Looks like there's a great turnout!
Here's my post on saving $ by drinking selfishly:
MxMo Hard Times: Drink Like a King(sley)
Thanks for hosting!
Hi Matthew -- thanks for hosting! Here's our entry, the classic Ward 8, along with 5 secrets for keeping cocktail hour rolling even when times are tight.
er, a link would help, eh? http://marriedwithdinner.com/2009/02/16/mxmo-recession-proof/
Hi Matthew, Here's my MxMo post is
Cheap wine cocktails. Hope it's not too late.
Round up is wrapped up and posted here:
What a blast hosting. I'm humbled by your collective creativity. Now it's time to rest my eyes, my keyboard, and my mind with a revitalising cuppa tea (hold the lemon, hold the whiskey).
Ridiculously late MxMo submission.
MxMo XXVI: Hard Drinks for Hard Times
Erik! So glad you're in. As soon as I get to a proper computer I'll add your write up. But on an iPhone? During Mardi Gras? Unpossible! At least with my clumsy fingers it is...
Post a Comment