Friday, February 13, 2009

Pin It

For Valentine's Day, The Bijou Cocktail

Over the past two months, I've consumed a hefty dose of green Chartreuse, a half-ounce at a time, making Bijoux. That I am in thrall of a well-made Bijou Cocktail is not overstatement, but I'm beginning to wonder what the LD50 of that green herbal liqueur may be...

This baroque little jewel of a cocktail is one of the more underrated I've come across in the past few months.

Since both Erik Ellestad and Paul Clarke have written about it, I'll refrain from my usual essays. It's a potent little bugger, though, full of big tastes, and perhaps not for those who prefer vokda martinis, but if you're feeling the least bit adventuresome, grab a small bottle (even a trial size) and get mixing.

This version, lightly tweaked from Dale DeGroff's The Essential Cocktail, is what's got my motor revvin' this Valentine's Day.
Bijou Cocktail

1 ½ oz Plymouth gin
½ oz green Chartreuse
½ oz Italian sweet vermouth (Martini & Rossi)
Dash of orange bitters (Angostura Orange or Regan's No. 6)
Lemon peel

Shake all ingredients with ice in a cocktail shaker (including lemon peel). Strain into a small footed glass and drink it while it's still smiling at you.


.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dale's got odd ratios. I'm used to this as a 1:1:1, and it's GORGEOUS. My default drink lately.

Matthew Rowley said...

He *does* have odd ratios, and the 1:1:1 is more true to type, but I'm a fan of gin, so oomphing up the Plymouth works for me.

Now I'm seriously considering going back and doing a side-by-side tasting. And it's not even time for my morning tea break...

Ouroboros said...

I don't want to pile-on, but I'll note that I know this as a 1:1:1 drink, and it's lovely. I'm sure that these proportions are similarly lovely, but the syrupiness of the 1:1:1 balances the bitter herbal very well.